Thursday, September 25, 2008

Beautiful Butterfly?

Yesterday Malia and I found a funny little caterpillar by the front door. Malia and Juliana were so excited. Juliana had just brought home a bug jar from pre-school a week or two ago and hadn't used it yet. You would have thought is was their birthdays or something! So I helped them get it into the jar and then we added some leaves from our tree out front so that it wouldn't starve. They have been taking the jar every where with them. It even sat by the tub when they had their baths last night. They have been happily giving it various names and talking about what it will look like when it turns into a beautiful butterfly. They noticed this morning that it started to spin a cocoon. I was starting to wonder if this really was a butterfly or a moth. When I taught first grade we always did a big unit on butterflies, and butterflies don't spin their cocoons, they form a chrysalis that hangs from a tree. I wasn't 100 percent sure so I did a little Google search and sure enough we are hatching a beautiful moth. I hope it is a pretty one. I haven't had the heart to tell them that their little pet is probably a ugly brown moth. Oh well they they will enjoy watching what happens and then we can learn a little more about the wonder of bugs.
P.S. Sorry if the picture grosses you out!

6 comments:

Mechelle said...

moth, butterfly, they both have wings right! it'll still be cool for them to watch either way. I'm sure the moth doesn't mind being called beautiful. have fun with the bug jar!

Sarah said...

Nice page update! What scientifically-minded girls you are raising! I am impressed. :)

trublubyu said...

ellie has totally been carrying around her bug jar, just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting bugs.

and guess what, on nogin today- little bill's class was learning about caterpillars and butterflies and little bill's caterpillar turned out to be a moth. the only one- everyone else got butterflies. he handled it very well and was just as excited to watch it hatch.

timely.

~The White family~ said...

qHow fun! What a great thing for them to be able to watch!

Sarah said...

How did it turn out?

Carolyn said...

I am not sure yet. I think that he might have been shaken up a bit too much. I hope he is still alive.