Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Finding the Joy

OK a little background, this last Sunday I was asked to talk and also had my R.S. lesson that same Sunday. I was a little stressed on Saturday, but it all worked out fine. My R.S. lesson was on the talk by President Monson about finding Joy in the Journey. After doing my lesson and preparing for it I was extra determined to see the bright side of things. I think that I am being tested in this new resolve. That same Sunday, Josh had to go to school because some kids painted graffiti on the walls. Then Grant who had been teething and a little sick came down with 104 fever. My kids have been sick so much this year. I think that there must be a hex on our house. So I finally got his fever down, but that night I think that he was up about three hours of it. I took him in yesterday and found out he has strep. The doctor said it looks like the girls had it too, because of the low grade fevers and red throats. So we are all home today. I was at first thinking yeah a day to be home and get caught up. Well in the short time it took me to shower, Grant had found that we forgot to lock the water spout on the fridge and had a hay day. The whole floor was flooded and a mess. In the picture he is in his diaper, but before my shower he was dressed and ready for the day.
The girls were playing so well, but while I was in the shower I think that they got out every toy in their room and brought it to the family room. It has gotten worse since the pictures, I didn't even take pictures of the rest of the mess.


Also while writing this post poor Malia was playing and fell right on the coffee table and cut her lip open. (Yes, I did take a time out and took care of her. So sad!) It was bleeding pretty good and there are three cuts on her bottom lip. One is pretty big, but has stopped bleeding and I think it will be OK.
Soooo, I am going to look on the bright side:
1. The girls are not fighting and they are using their imagination. No T.V. this morning. That is very impressive in our house! We always watch shows in the morning. ( Well we just turned on the TV. since the lip incident,but we were doing good)
2. Grant learned more about cause and effect and got a mini shower in the mix.
3. While I was showering nobody cried at the door, because they were all otherwise occupied.
4. I don't have to be anywhere so it is OK that I am still not dressed.
5. Malia doesn't need stitches and I think that we caught the girl's strep early enough that they won't get too miserable.
6. I am blessed to have kids even when it can be crazy!
So I hope that I am learning whatever lesson I am supposed to. I need a break! :)

6 comments:

Stefany said...

carolyn- you are an amazing person! i love your honesty and reality of life! your lesson and talk were both great. hope the kids feel better and know that you are wonderful mom and great example to your friends! :)

corrychronicles said...

Isn't that how it always goes, you try so hard and the opposite things start happening just to test you. Your kdis are so cute.

Kathryn said...

Oh, Honey! I love you! I wish I was closer to give you a break once in awhile. I remember those days! Remember it is all over way too fast!

fish said...

i loved that talk. it's so hard, though, to remember to have joy in the journey when you are in the moment, you know? especially when you just want to take a dang shower in peace!!!!

i did want to add to your list (i hope you don't mind).
7. at least i don't have my old church calling.

but seriously, you are a great example of finding the positive and of being a great mom. i miss you.

Mouse said...

I love it! Just know that you're in good company. Like when we repeatedly tell the girls to stay in their beds, then hear little footsteps in the hall and see Caitlin coming out of her room with her hands over her eyes because she thinks we won't be able to see her... It's like Sister Hinckley said, "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."

Mechelle said...

It seems we can all relate in one way or another, and your lesson was awesome! I'm glad I got to hear it esp because I missed alot of your talk. But it was on being prepared and food storage, right? Anyway, I'm glad for relief society, because it gives women a common ground, someplace to meet ant talk and find commonalities, and support. I love it! I'm so glad that you were able to find the good out of your hectic day.